The artichoke diet is one of the most popular diet programs to lose weight in a short time. This vegetable is packed with essential nutrients that optimize the functioning of the metabolism to promote “fat burning” without affecting health.
Although it is not a nutrition model to follow permanently, there are those who advise it as a good option to detoxify and eliminate kilos before following a balanced and complete diet. It can also be taken into account in case of fluid retention or abdominal swelling .
However, before making the decision to adopt it, it is essential to know how it works, what its disadvantages are and in which cases it is contraindicated. For that, we have compiled a series of important information that allows you to clarify these doubts . Discover it!
What is the artichoke diet?
The artichoke, whose scientific name is Cynara Scolymus L , is one of the foods that has stood out as a supplement to lose weight . Due to its many culinary and medicinal applications, it is an ingredient known almost all over the world .
The famous artichoke diet has multiple adaptations. However, it generally consists of a “detox” plan that should only be implemented for 3 to 5 days . Although there are diets that suggest it for up to a month, it is better to follow the short plans to avoid unwanted effects.
During this time, a lighter and lower calorie diet is recommended to reduce the overload of the body. Therefore, the consumption of saturated fats, sugars, refined flours and other ingredients that tend to affect overweight should be eliminated, according to a publication in the journal Molecules.
Instead, it is proposed to increase the consumption of organic foods and, of course, artichoke . Thanks to its properties, this vegetable can help break down fat and reduce the presence of toxins and fluids in the tissues.
Advantages of the artichoke diet
The main benefit of the artichoke diet is that it helps to reduce measures in a short time. Due to its detoxifying and slimming effect, it is a good option to start improving the figure without putting health at risk . Other advantages of following this plan are:
- It helps to facilitate the breakdown of fats and reduces the formation of nodules and love handles .
- It controls high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, according to a study published in the journal Pharmacological Research.
- Improves circulatory and lymphatic health , minimizing the appearance of cellulite.
- Regulates glucose levels in the blood to lower the risk of diabetes.
- Optimizes the functioning of the liver and gallbladder .
- Its fiber contributions improve intestinal transit and help reduce constipation.
- Unlike other diets, it does not cause much anxiety , since fiber prolongs the feeling of fullness for longer.
- It stimulates the elimination of uric acid to avoid joint pain and gout.
- Decreases abdominal swelling to achieve a flatter stomach.
Did you know? Discover 6 habits that cause abdominal inflammation
Disadvantages of the artichoke diet
Despite being such a highly recommended weight loss plan, the artichoke diet has some downsides that are worth considering. Let’s look at the most important ones:
- Being a type of “detox” diet , it can only be adopted for about 5 days . Therefore, after this period is over, regular nutrition should be completely improved.
- If the general diet is not optimized, the effects obtained with the artichoke diet are lost in a short time. In fact, it may cause the undesirable “yo-yo effect.”
- Some models of this diet are too hypocaloric and do not provide the nutrients that the body requires to function well. For this reason, it is important to choose the options that propose balanced menus .
- Eating too much artichoke can cause flatulence.
Contraindications of the artichoke diet
In addition to the mentioned disadvantages, this type of diet is contraindicated in some special cases. It is essential to recognize them, as their adoption could lead to serious health complications . This plan should not be followed in case of:
- Pregnancy and lactation period.
- Biliary obstruction
- Consumption of medications for hypertension or heart disease.
- Kidney or liver failure.
- Bacterial overgrowth at the intestinal level.
Menus that you can enjoy in the artichoke diet
The secret to not suffering negative effects from doing the artichoke diet is to try to respect the concept of a balanced diet as much as possible. Although some plans suggest restrictions , it is best to opt for those that make an adequate combination of all the nutrients . We give you some options:
- Cup of green tea; slice of whole wheat bread with tomato and cottage cheese and a half roasted artichoke.
- Glass of infusion of artichoke with lemon; whole wheat toast with avocado and boiled egg.
- Scrambled eggs with artichoke and spinach; glass of grapefruit juice and whole wheat bread.
- Sautéed artichokes; portion of grilled fish and mixed salad.
- Portion of grilled steak; cooked artichoke seasoned with olive oil; two slices of whole wheat bread and rice.
- Bowl of artichoke soup with chicken; serving of brown rice and salad.
Read this article: 4 recipes rich in fiber to take care of your digestion
- Artichoke sandwich with grilled cheese and a cup of infusion.
- Roasted artichoke with olive oil; two slices of turkey ham and sliced tomato.
- Artichoke salad and portion of baked fish.
- Fruit salad.
- Glass of vegetable milk.
- Natural yogurt with nuts.
The artichoke diet, a restrictive diet
The artichoke diet is one of many alternatives to detoxify the body and lose weight in a few days . However, to maintain its effects and avoid the rebound reaction, it is essential to follow a balanced diet at the end of the plan.
Experts do not advise carrying out this type of diet, as it can negatively affect health. Before implementing a meal plan like this, consult a specialist.