Have there been a few bananas left in your fridge that are very ripe? Discover how to prepare a banana cake high in fiber, nutritious and delicious. Currently, the sponge cake is part of the main homemade desserts for its rich flavor, ease of preparation and accessible ingredients.
However, most recipes are high in sugars and saturated fats, so their nutritional intake is reduced and their regular consumption represents a health risk.
The excessive consumption of sugars and saturated fats is associated with the development of overweight and obesity , as well as chronic non-communicable diseases such as diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases and some types of cancer.
However, it is possible to carry out a healthy diet that allows the consumption of nutritious desserts with properties that promote well-being . Enjoy the following recipes!
High fiber banana cake
Through slight changes, you can prepare a high fiber banana cake that contributes to our nutrition . The substitution of refined white flour with natural flours (such as oats, almonds or coconut), provides soluble and insoluble fiber for a correct gastrointestinal function.
As highlighted by a publication in Current Developments in Nutrition , fiber when reaching the colon works as a prebiotic. Prebiotics are oligosaccharides that function as a food substrate for microorganisms present in the intestinal tract (microbiota).
The maintenance of a microbiota in balance allows the protection of the organism against harmful microorganisms, in addition to favoring the synthesis of vitamins and anti-inflammatory activity.
Likewise, the change of butter or oil for seeds or peanut butter, helps the incorporation of unsaturated fatty acids that have cardioprotective, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects .
The consumption of food sources rich in unsaturated fatty acids regulate anti-inflammatory activity at the vascular level and through the microbiota.
Finally, the importance of using the natural sugar present in fruits (fructose) to provide a soft and delicious sweetness is emphasized.
Here are two recipes for a high fiber, low sugar banana cake that are nutritious, quick, easy, and most of all, tasty.
Don’t miss: Learn how to prepare delicious banana crepes
Banana cake high in fiber and low in sugars
- 2 cups of oatmeal (400 g)
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder (30 g)
- 1/3 cup of skim milk (84 ml)
- 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda (7 g)
- 1/3 cup of molasses sugar (80 g)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (7 g)
- 1 cup of mashed banana (200 g)
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil (80 ml)
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts (100 g)
- 2 teaspoons of stevia (15 g, optional)
- First, preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Next, grease a cake pan.
- Next, mix the bananas, sugar, oil, milk and egg whites in a deep bowl.
- Next, add the oatmeal , baking powder, baking soda, and chopped walnuts.
- To finish, pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Paleo banana cake with chocolate chips
- 1 and ¼ cup of mashed bananas (250 g)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (5 ml)
- ¼ cup of peanut butter (50 g)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of coconut or almond flour (100 g)
- A pinch of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon (3.5 g)
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips (100 g)
- To start, preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Grease a cake pan.
- Separately, in a deep bowl, combine the bananas, vanilla, and peanut butter ; mix until just combined. Then, with the use of the mixer, add the coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; mix again until the dough is well integrated. Add the chocolate chips.
- Incorporate the mixture into the mold and pour in a handful of chocolate chips. Bake 25-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and chill for 20 minutes.
- Finally, remove from the mold and cut into 12 slices.
Notes: For best results, use bananas that are ripe (with black spots).