Wanting to be and look healthy is a day-to-day matter. The detox label has invaded our daily lives and now we attend the food market looking for the most natural products. The famous detox juices have prompted us to drink, eat and think green.
There are many benefits that this food movement brings, from weight loss to cleansing the body. However, the disadvantages of basing your diet only on detox juices are also diverse. We will see both points below.
Benefits of detox juices for the diet
The benefits of detox juices lie in the way they are prepared and in the amount of fruits and vegetables to be combined.
You should know that its properties will not have a real effect if eating habits do not change and are maintained over time. Now, its benefits are the following:
1. They contain fiber
The juices are made with vegetables and fruits, and these are very rich in fiber . Increasing fiber consumption is very positive and beneficial for your diet, as it improves intestinal transit, according to a study published in the journal “Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics.”
The interesting thing is to make detox shakes with the richest fruits in fiber or combine them with each other. This will help keep your bowel clean and improve bowel movements if you’re constipated.
2. They provide many macronutrients
Detox juices contain various macro nutrients that are beneficial . Among them, we can mention the following:
- Magnesium : necessary to produce energy and for other physiological processes to take place.
- Calcium : important for bones and in cases of muscle contractions and nerve transmission.
- Manganese : our mitochondria need this nutrient to stay healthy.
- Folic acid : prevents cardiovascular problems, according to research published in the journal “The American Journal of the Medical Sciences.”
- Betaine : It acts in liver purification processes.
3. You will not even realize that you are consuming vegetables
For many people the taste of vegetables is intolerable. Fortunately, with detox juices they will forget this detail.
If this also happens to you, you can consume your vitamins and minerals without feeling any rejection of vegetables , since these juices are delicious.
4. Everything in one glass
These juices are a great natural preparation . It is not unreasonable to say that they have a certain resemblance to supplements that provide many vitamins with a single intake.
The daily routine may make it difficult to consume all the nutrients that the body needs during the day. However, with the green juices it will help to carry out this task.
5. Preserves nutrients in food
In the process of preparing detox juices, no heat is generated, so the fruits and vegetables retain their properties .
Cooking food reduces its natural benefits and this means that you cannot take advantage of all the nutrients they contain.
Disadvantages of detox juices
Despite all the advantages of consuming detox juices, below, we are going to see some disadvantages if we decide to base our diet on this eating strategy.
1. The chewing process is not followed
This is the first step in the digestive process. It is the signal that is sent to the brain to tell it that it is time to receive food.
Skipping this action regularly is not recommended . In the long term, it can generate some disorders in the body.
2. Promotes excessive consumption of glucose or fructose
Fruits are very rich in glucose and fructose. Therefore, abusing this type of juice can cause you to accumulate fat in your body and promote metabolic syndromes.
This does not mean that it is not positive to include them in the diet. However, basing your diet on these juices alone may not give you the results you are looking for.
3. They will make you want to eat more
Despite the fact that detox juices are very nutritious, if you do not consume any type of solid food for days, your stomach will start to hurt from hunger.
The reason is that juices have a very easy digestive process . Therefore, even if you take them satisfied, after an hour you will be hungry again.
4. Lack of protein
If you only consume detox juices, you may start to experience nausea, tiredness, and a headache. In addition, you will begin to lose muscle mass .
The reason for this is that they do not provide protein and this deficit can cause all those unpleasant symptoms. For this reason, it is better that you use detox shakes when you do a fast or when you want to clean your intestines.
Recommendations for a good detox juice
- Prepare your detox games with 2 or 3 vegetables for 1 piece of fruit . Thus, increases in blood glucose will not be generated.
- Vary the ingredients . Use vegetables and fruits in season. Prioritize those that are fresh.
- Look for a liquid base, like cucumbers or celery . Add green leaves, such as spinach, and finish with a sweet fruit, it can be peaches or strawberries.
As you have seen, detox juices are a great option to accompany your diet . But keep in mind that this should not be the only thing you consume since the body needs all the nutrients for its proper functioning.