Learning Yoga is one of the most crucial decisions you can make in life. Yoga is a great healing as well as spiritual practice that, not only makes you physically fit, but also mentally and emotionally healthy. Yoga is a Sanskrit word that means ‘union’. Yoga essentially means the union of body, mind and spirit. Yoga is an ancient Indian philosophy given by a great Indian sage ‘Patanjali’. Today Yoga has become a worldwide phenomenon helping millions of people reinvent themselves and find their inner or true self.
So, if you are a newbie, what things should you keep in mind to ensure a bright career? We list down top ten tips for you:
1. Practice, Practice: It’s crucial to keep a daily practice schedule in order to improve your Yoga postures and alignment, but also increase the confidence necessary to succeed as a Yoga teacher. It is generally recommended that you must practice at least 2 hours daily for best results. If you become lethargic or complacent, then it might adversely affect your career or future growth.
2. Keep Learning: Learning is a continuous process and it never stops. Hence, you must not get complacent and stop updating yourself on the latest trends or updates on Yoga and other holistic health practices. Subscribe to important Yoga journals or blogs and get the latest news or articles on Yoga.
3. Stay Humble: As a Yoga Teacher, you are responsible for helping people reinvent themselves and connect with their souls. You play an important role in their journey towards inner awakening and spiritual liberation. You will only be able to play this role well if you are humble and compassionate. With arrogance, people won’t be able to connect with you or understand your teachings.
4. Always Be Ready to Help: Your students might need your help anytime. Hence, you must always keep a helping demeanour, always ready to give a helping hand to your students. Ensure that you are always available to help your students, and provide them with the necessary guidance whenever they need it.
5. Brush up Basics of Philosophy: Yoga is an ancient philosophical science propounded by Sage Patanjali. Yoga essentially helps us in understanding our real nature and connecting with our spirit or soul. In order to be effective in your practice, you must have a strong grasp on the crucial concepts of Yoga and Vedanta. You must have a strong hold on Bhagwat Gita, Yoga Sutras, and other Vedanta literature. Bhagwat Gita is essentially a Vedanta literature, hence, an important book that you must have read and understood well.
6. Personalise your Teachings: As each person has his unique spiritual and personal needs, it is always better to personalise your teaching methodology. Through this approach, your practice will be more effective and beneficial for the readers.
7. Share Experiences and Connect: It works better if you share your experiences with the students so that they can relate and learn from them. You will be able to better connect and deliver your message if told in the form of a story than theoretically.
8. Master Breathing Exercises: Breathing makes an essential component of Yoga practice and is crucial for getting desired results. Hence, it is quite important for you to master the concepts and techniques of breathing and impart the same to your students. Breathing exercises are the heart of the Yoga practice; hence you just can’t get it wrong.
9. Develop Your Unique Practice: Yoga is more about practice than theory. Understand the concepts, and design your own style and practice utilizing your own skills and expertise. Don’t just be copycats.
10. Have Integrity: Lastly, it is quite crucial to have integrity and be authentic in your practice. Ensure you practice you preach. If you are not true to your teachings or wisdom, then it will be quite difficult for the students to connect with you. The more honest you will be in your practice; the better will be the results. Don’t sacrifice your integrity for personal gains.
Article Source: EzineArticles